Sunday, November 2, 2014

Week 8

    So this week, I had a bit of trouble with the material during the lectures, mostly because I don't know while loops as well as for loops. I should definitely ask someone for help on that! Generally, I don't understand anything as usual, especially the big O and worst case...I really have no idea what's going on. Thankfully it will not be on the test I believe.
    Anyways, a2 was completed yesterday with my group and I found that 1.2 and 1.3 took the longest time to understand and write a proof for. I'm definitely more familiar with the definition of floor now and just writing proofs in general. I think in order to prepare for the test, I just need to practice writing them on my own.
    Through the assignment, I learned a few different techniques on how to approach a claim such as using the contrapositive instead of the original claim, and negating it to prove that the claim is false. The structure of a proof is also more clear to me, in terms of what I can and cannot do depending on the quantifiers and whatnot. On a side note, I'm afraid I don't understand proof by limits (so I guess that's why 1.2 and 1.3 were the hardest for me) and proof by cases is alright. And perhaps I get confused the most is when I see someone writing a proof and he/she just know when and which number to add to get to this next step, or when to let j' equal an expression, and etc. I think the challenge for me is to just think outside the box on how to prove the consequent with the antecedent and with previous knowledge.
    Anyways, to prepare for the test I plan on going through all the lecture slides for written proof examples, doing the past test and if I have time, doing practice questions on proofs. I don't know how I did on the last test but I hope I do decent on this upcoming one! Oh, I also think I messed up on last week's quiz. I don't even remember what I wrote exactly, but I have a feeling it wasn't right at all. Hopefully this week's quiz will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment