Well to start off, I feel a bit more
overwhelmed than I did last week with the course material. I was familiar with
the conjunction "and", disjunction "or", and negation since
in CSC108 I did exercises about Boolean operators. A short and simple summary
of this material includes:
1. In order for "P and Q" to be true, both P and Q must be true. For it to be false, either P, Q or both P and Q must be false. The symbol for "and" is
∧and
is similar to another symbol, ∩ (intersection).
2. In order for "P or Q"
to be true, at least one of P or Q must be true. For the statement to be false,
both P and Q must be false. The symbol for "or" is which is similar to another symbol, ∪(union).
3. And lastly, to invert truth value we use the negation symbol, ¬. If P were true, the value of ¬ ¬P would be true.
I also understand vacuous truth, equivalent
and equal sets, tautology, satisfiability, and unsatisfiability, but some other
concepts I still have questions about. Mainly, the converse of an implication
and symbolic expressions confuse me.
Firstly, I know what the definition of
contrapositive and converse is, but I still fail to grasp why the converse of
an implication is not the same as the implication. I feel like the answer is
simpler, but my mind gets all jumbled especially when I start mixing causality
with logic (which according to the course notes, shouldn't be done).
Another thing I'm stuck on is the tutorial
exercise for this week. I did the exercise by myself at home and I thought I
had done it right, but when we took it up in class I had gotten everything
completely wrong. It made a bit more
sense when my TA took up the exercise but I wish I had gotten more of a chance
to practice and learn from my mistakes before the quiz. Even 5 minutes to look over the exercise would
have made me feel a lot more comfortable with the material. I take back what I said last week, that I was excited to learn new symbols. I thought these symbols would be fun! :(
Speaking of which, the quiz was quite easy
I suppose. Even though I got the exercise questions all wrong, I think I
answered the quiz question correctly...at least some it anyway. I realized that
I'll definitely need to find more resources for me to practice translating
English to symbolic expressions and vice versa because I find that the course
notes only touch upon a fraction of what we really need to know in order to do
well in this course. The notes are too general and I need to find practice
sheets of some sort or a textbook to help me learn more in-depth.
Anyways, I plan on forcing myself to go to
the CS Help Aid Center (since when I tried to see my professor, there were
quite a few people and not enough time until my next class). Also, I think the
assignment due on Oct. 3 should help. Although my group members don't seem to
know much more than me, I think talking about it with other people should help.
And oh yes, midterms are coming in less
than 2 weeks and I'm pooping my pants, but I plan on prioritizing this course
since I'm struggling the most in it. After talking to my friends, I don't seem
to be the only one struggling though. I guess we can all suffer together, yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment